– Five persons were electrocuted while trying to mount a billboard in Obiri-Ikwerre, Nigeria
– Four others received life-threatening burns and are currently in critical condition at a hospital
– The billboard’s metal frame touched a high-tension cable, causing a spark and electric shock
– The victims were private businessmen contracted by a church
– The police spokesperson confirmed the incident and said that an investigation is ongoing.
No fewer than five persons were electrocuted while trying to mount a billboard in the Obiri-Ikwerre axis of Rumuosi in the Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of the State on Monday.
Also, four others who received life-threatening burns are currently battling for their lives at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital where they were rushed for treatment.
It was gathered that the billboard, a major outdoor advertisement had a metal frame that reportedly touched a high-tension cable, causing a spark.
The nine men were said to have lifted the gigantic structure when its metal component touched the cable and immediately conducted current,
The current gripped and shocked five of them to death while four others were said to be in critical condition.
The victims were said to be private businessmen contracted to mount the billboard for a church.
When contacted, the spokesperson of the state police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko confirmed the incident, describing it as unfortunate.
She stated, “Yes we are aware. It is very unfortunate. Investigation is ongoing to ascertain what really happened.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Writen by Dennis Naku at Source link